Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Gimmie A Break

Today at work, I decided to take a "health break" - something I never do.

Don't get me wrong, I do take breaks at work, but most of the time I stay at my desk and check facebook or do something that involves very little movement and more starring at the computer.

So today, I walked over to the cafe, bought a 10 calorie vitamin water, sat on a bench in the park and drank it. It was funny because I was surrounded by smokers on their "smoke break" and I was the only one sans cigarette and with a vitamin water.

It made me realize that the only people taking true breaks out there are the smokers of the world. Whatever happened to people enjoying their break outside, out of the office?

I am definitely going to start doing this more often, that is: take some time to stop and smell the roses.

5 comments:

  1. I think taking a "health break" is a great idea! Getting away from the computer and walking somewhere is probably a lot better for ya then just checking facebook, which is what my breaks are sometimes too. I like that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a smoker friend argue the point once that smokers are healthier because they go outside more.

    Now, I don't think smokers are healthier, but getting outside is definitely a good habit, and we should all start doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen - and not just in the summertime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I use to argue the same thing when I worked in a restaurant. Everyone got a 5 min break here and there bcs they smoked, so I created the beverage brea. So not far all those smokers get that time to themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to get away from the desk often. I tend to have a walk around the building or outside just so I feel a lot fresher when I head back to my computer.

    ReplyDelete